Sunday

E Learning

"Good teaching is good teaching, no matter how it's done."
http://www.worldwidelearn.com/elearning-essentials/elearning-benefits.htm

E Learning- What is it and how can this enhance our learning and teaching in the 21st century? these are the questions I asked myself. I really had to think as the funny thing was that before starting this course I had no idea what e learning even meant. I had to google it and found that it can be taken from a range of perspectives and directions.

I have listed some definitons that I found for E Learning.

Im sure with others out there who have been taught face to face in both school and a university setting it was a a big step to step out of your comfort zone to give e learning a go.
I always felt that technology, computers and learning were important but i wanted to see what else was out there and what could I do to improve the ways in which I was teaching

I decided to look at E Learning and center around the pros and cons? As I didnt want to undertake anything that seemed beyond my capabilities as a tradional face to face learner.

I searched the internet and found these pros and cons of e - learning.

  • allows you to learn anywhere and usually at any time
  • Learning is self-paced and gives you a chance to speed up or slow
    down as necessary
  • Learning is self-directed, allowing you to choose content and tools appropriate to your differing interests, needs, and skill levels
  • Accommodates multiple learning styles using a variety of delivery methods geared to different learners; more effective for certain learners
  • Designed around the learner
  • Geographical barriers are eliminated
  • 24/7 accessibility
  • On-demand
  • Travel time and associated costs (parking, fuel, vehicle maintenance) are reduced or
    eliminated

The Cons

  • Learners with low motivation or bad study habits may fall behind
  • Without the routine structures of a traditional class, students may get lost or confused about course activities and deadlines
  • Students may feel isolated from the instructor and classmates
  • Lecturer may not always be available when students are studying or need help
  • Slow Internet connections or older computers may make accessing course materials frustrating
  • Managing computer files and online learning software can sometimes seem complex for students with beginner-level computer skills

Pros and cons retrieved from a variety of sources on WWW.

Upon consideration of the ideas I realised that I could set aside time each day to do this course and simply ask for help when I was unsure of something as I think the biggest thing that I felt was making me nervous about an online paper was the fact that I would be missing the discussions and questions that come up from others in a classroom face to face setting that are contributed by others that you all benefit from and think phew I was thinking the same thing.

So I have learnt that if you are questioning something just ask, put it out there and someone in the group will hopefully know the answer or send you off on the correct track, and if not you all head in the wrong direction together. So here I go E - Learning 2010 bring it on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment